Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Why I do what I do.

My job has never been "just a job" to me. It's a passion. Though there are some days when I feel like I REALLY earned my paycheck, the good outweighs the bad by far. Teaching band is one of the greatest things ever.

I had a concert last night for my biggest school. The kids there all started on their instruments in late October so they are all beginners. They are all little sponges for everything music. They take everything that I teach them and they run with it. They are proud to be part of the band. They think it's the coolest thing ever. Lots of parents came up to me after the concert and told me how they always hear about how cool I am and how cool band is. One parent told me "My daughter thinks you walk on water. She loves you so much." That in and of itself is so humbling, and it makes me so proud to be part of their lives.

I remember my very first year in band. I was good at it and I absolutely loved my band director. To this day I remember my lessons with Mr. Jenni. He has taught beginning band in the district I grew up in for 40+ years. When I was in high school I wondered why he loved it so much because in beginning band you master Hot Cross Buns and Jingle Bells and the music is not very complex. But now that I'm teaching, I realize why he loves it so much. Beginning band kids are so fun to teach. They have energy and excitement and motivation. Not to mention seeing them go from their very first notes to performing a full concert is pretty incredible.

There were many great moments at the concert last night, I think I will always remember how it felt when the principal publicly thanked me for all my hard work and my band started hollering and cheering loudly for me. When I decided to go to college to become a band director, it was because of the sense of community I felt in my bands in school. I loved the fact that I had made so many great friends in band and that it gave me a sense of belonging. It was really cool being part of something so much bigger than myself. I was REALLY proud to be a part of band. And now, I'm able to create for these kids that same feeling and that exact same environment. That in and of itself is powerful.

In February, a woman who was my church music director in elementary school passed away at age 52. Donna Mae was a huge inspiration to me and she was a big reason for why I fell in love with music in the first place. She was inspirational in many ways and I always looked up to her. She was kind, compassionate, joyful, and she absolutely loved everyone. I've never met a kinder woman. I think about her on occasion when I'm teaching because I find myself doing things that she used to do. In this particular school, I feel like I am the "Donna Mae" that these kids needed in their lives.

I have 100% retention in this particular band for next year. Every single student has already signed up for band next year. I was amazed at how many parents told me that their kids love having me as their teacher. When I told the kids that I was going to be back next year they started cheering. I love that band is the cool thing to do in that school and we're going to go on to even bigger and better things in years to come.

It's a powerful thing to be someone's very first band director. They will always remember their first year in band. I hope that they will look back on it and have fond memories of it. After all, these kids are the reason why I do what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment