Monday, May 26, 2014

That one moment in time...

Has there ever been one particular moment in time that literally changed your life?  I've been thinking about this recently.  One moment, one decision, one thing, one action, one person, can change your life.

My Moment happened in 7th grade.  I was really awkward with a face full of acne, clothes that weren't trendy, and I was taller than EVERYONE.  I stood out when all I wanted to do was fit in.  I remember trying to make friends.  The people I was trying to befriend were more of "frenemies" if you will.  They would talk about me behind my back.  They would embarrass me on purpose.  They would make fun of me.  And all I wanted was for them to like me for who I was.

 I ate lunch alone.  I sat at my table by myself for the longest 25 minutes of the day.  I was overwhelmed by all the noise and everyone who had their big groups of friends where I had no one.  I just wanted to fit in, but I didn't.  It was this way for about six months.

I was in band and I was good at it.  I had kind of talked to some of the other girls in the flute section, and one in particular seemed pretty fun.  I had been watching her and her friends eating at lunch from afar.  They looked like they had so much fun together.  I recognized the others as people who were also in band.  For whatever reason, my seventh grade self decided it was time to step waaaaay outside of her comfort zone.  When I finished my lunch, I dumped my tray and it took all the courage I possessed to go sit with these girls I had been watching from afar.  I silently sat down next to them, on the edge of the group afraid to even introduce myself.  I observed them and laughed along with them.  It felt SO GOOD.  The next day, I sat down with them again and I was brave enough to tell them my name.  Each day got easier, and I finally felt like I fit in.  I didn't necessarily want to be popular, I just wanted a group, as every 12-13 year old does.

That moment literally changed my life.  Some of the girls are still my best friends to this day.  Through them I found myself.  They encouraged me to step outside of my comfort zone and I started coming out of my shell.  I realized that there was more to life than eating lunch in the corner.  I opened up -- a lot -- and I wasn't as shy and I wasn't as afraid to speak my mind anymore.

As a teacher, I see the people who are just like I was when I was in 7th grade.  Shy, quiet, and oftentimes they are sitting outside the group looking in just wanting someone to accept them for who they are.  I reach out to these students in particular because I can relate to how they're feeling.  Ultimately I think that has made me a better teacher.  I can spot kids who really just need someone to talk to and to know they're not alone.  I try to include them whenever possible so that they don't feel left behind.

The girls I befriended at age 13 will be bridesmaids in my wedding whenever that may be.  They are the people I still go to when I need to vent or when I need advice.  They've seen me through a lot of stuff, yet they still love me.  Had I not gone to sit with them that one day, I don't know if I ever would have gotten to know them and I think my life would have taken a different path.  I wish I could go back and thank my 7th grade self for being so uncharacteristically bold.

What was your Moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment