Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thoughts on Break Ups

I went through one hell of a break up in November 2012.  He was the only guy I had ever dated at the time and we dated from age 21 - 24.  I loved him so freaking much and I made a lot of sacrifices for him even though we were not a good match to begin with.

I've been thinking of this a lot lately for whatever reason.  I'm with an amazing man now and I'm genuinely happy with said man, but the big break up of 2012 shaped me in a lot of ways.  Here are the lessons I learned:

1. It changed my outlook on "the one".  There is no "one" person for everyone.  I thought he was my "one", so I put up with a lot of crap for way too long because I thought no one would ever love me again.  Well, guess again.
2. It raised my standards.  Like a lot.
3. It helped me realize I could survive a lot more than I thought I could.
4. It helped teach me that moving for love is actually a pretty horrible decision (for me, not for everyone).
5. It helped me realize that I am responsible for my own happiness.
6. Most importantly, it helped me realize that being single and happy is SO MUCH BETTER than being in a relationship and miserable.

I'm not proud of some of the decisions I made for my ex boyfriend.  I'm not proud of the fact that I couldn't see how ridiculously unhappy I was.  I'm not proud of the fact that because of him I missed out on a lot of opportunities.  I'm not proud of the fact that I thought we were in a healthy relationship when in reality we definitely weren't.  I'm not proud of settling for less than what I deserved.

That day, November 17, 2012, was one of the toughest days I've ever experienced.  I felt like my entire world had crumbled around me.  It wasn't, of course, but I felt such raw emotion that I was pretty sure my heart was ripped out of my chest and stomped on 5,000 times.  I remember calling my mom the moment he left my house and I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.  She couldn't understand me because I was crying so hard.  And it hurt like hell.  I don't know if you ever truly "get over" your first love...I'm sure you never forget them.  I got back into dating much sooner than I should have.  I wish I hadn't, but whatever.  Things happen for a reason right?

So how does this fit into my "Live Simply" mantra?  Well, it took me longer than I care to admit to get over him.  I was angry at him for a long time.  A LONG time.  I held onto a lot of emotional baggage from the break up.  I blamed him for a lot of things.  I saw him this past summer because we both work at a summer camp, which is where we met.  And I was a jerk towards him the whole summer.  I feel really bad about that now.  I mean, he's not a total jerk, it is/was just easier hating him than dealing with all the emotion.

Well, when I drive to and from work on Thursdays I pass by a sign for a park.  The park has the same name as his hometown.  I kept on seeing that sign and it kept on reminding me of him on a weekly basis.  It's dumb, I know, but it happened.  Then recently I realized that I hadn't seen the sign for a good couple months.  I had just driven past it without noticing.  And that's when I realized I had let all the emotion go.  It's not that I sit and think about him all day.  I definitely don't.  It was just that one time per week that I kept on thinking about him and I was getting annoyed by that.  Letting go of unnecessary emotions is very freeing.

I learned a lot through dating him and looking back, I'm so grateful that we did break up.  At the time I saw it as back to square one when in reality it was never going to work, not in a million years.  I wish I could go back and tell myself not to settle for anything less than what I deserve, but hindsight is always 20-20.  Things happen for a reason, and looking back I'm grateful the break up happened when it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment