Sunday, December 22, 2013

Holiday Spending

This marks the first holiday season where I've seriously looked at my budget to decide if I can afford to buy gifts or not.  Typically I would buy gifts for everyone and ask questions later.  It has gone just fine so far, but this year I realized that I couldn't afford it.

It's very humbling when you realize you can't afford to give gifts.  At first I was almost ashamed of it.  I talked to my parents and told them emotionally that I felt like I was struggling financially and couldn't give them material gifts.  Both were very understanding and were proud of me for not spending myself into more debt.  They said that they didn't need more stuff.

I then thought seriously about how I could give without spending money and I started to get creative.  I realized that doing something for the people I love would be worth more than any gift I could give.  I told my parents that for Christmas, I would give them each a day with me.  I would do whatever they asked whether that be mopping the floor or cleaning out the closets or shoveling snow.  I told them to start thinking about what they would want me to help them with.  They both grinned ear to ear, and are currently compiling their "to do" lists for me.

My thoughts then turned to my friends -- people who I love dearly and have previously given gifts to for Christmas.  We decided to have a holiday potluck where everyone brings an appetizer and we hang out and enjoy each other's company.  I came up with the idea of a book swap where everyone brings the books they no longer read and we exchange books with each other instead of giving gifts.  That way it's still "new", but we don't have to spend money.

This holiday season where my spending is limited I'm realizing that there is so much more to the holidays than buying meaningless gifts for others.  It's about enjoying what you have and the people who are in your life.  I'm looking forward to enjoying a joyous, simple holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment